Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility
We Are Closed

Adult Social Care and NHS Continuing Health Care


From the NHS

As the result of illness, an accident or a disability, you might need ongoing support at home from health and care professionals.

This is called Continuing Health Care and can be funded by the NHS if the person is over 18 and they have a significant clinical need.

Typically the first stage will be for a health or care professional to run through a checklist to see if some basic eligibility criteria have been met.

This will cover aspects of physical health, like breathing, mobility and continence as well as mental and emotional conditions by looking at their cognition, behaviour and ability to communicate.

A Doctor or Nurse at the practice, or another health or social care worker can complete this checklist.

If a clinical need is identified, then a full assessment will follow to work out exactly what level of support is needed. This will be carried out by two or more members of a multidisciplinary team – specialists from different areas, a social worker and a nurse, for example. 

You will be able to play a role in the assessment, along with anyone else involved in your care such as friends or family.

Once a support package has been created and put in place, it will be regularly reviewed and amended if your clinical needs change.

You can read more about how NHS Continuing Health Care works in Newcastle and Gateshead on the Clinical Commissioning Groups website.


From the Council

If you are not eligible for NHS-funded continuing care, then support may be available from the Council.

A social worker will carry out a needs assessment to look at what support you need to live independently in your home.

As with continuing health care, a personalised plan will be put together with recommendations of support that is available to you.

Rather than this being fully funded by the NHS, the council will work with you, and any carers or family members, to create a financial package called a Personal Budget. This contains a sum of money that the council is able to contribute towards meeting your care needs.


From Charities and other organisations

If you are not eligible for support directly from either the NHS or the council, then there are charities and other organisations that may be able to help.

Disability North can offer advice and guidance on aids, equipment and how to pay for care, as well as supporting you and your carers.

Age UK and other organisations have developed a factsheet on how to pay for long term care.